Thursday, July 8, 2010

yoghurt cake with lavender and honey



“It has been more than a month, you know.”
I looked up from my bowl of noodles, head to one side, an expression on my face that could possibly be interpreted as “No, really?” or “I’m not hearing you right, am I?” or “I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that right so you repeat yourself, because truly, it can’t be so.”
He nodded, a slice of pork parcel poised between his chopsticks.
“Since your last post. November 3rd. I checked just the other day.”
My forehead grew furrows. It can’t have been. It was only the other day that…
“Focaccia. You made it for my lunch and brought it to the picnic. I hope it isn’t because… well… I like that you blog. So please don’t stop, ok?”


honey & lavender cake
          honey & lavender cake

And, like that, I realised that it truly had been a month. A flurry of weddings and birthdays and eight-to-eight work days where large grey folders full of documents had travelled on the bus with me and home to my desk and then back into work again, but this time with coloured tabs and highlighted paragraphs. A month where my feet have barely touched the ground, for reasons both thrilling and mundane. A month in which I settled down to dinner with my family for the first time in weeks, only to be laughed at by my mother.
“Ahhh Cheh!” she said, in between her laughing and pretence at swotting me about the head “Good thing I bring you to Cairns, otherwise we will never see you!”

my mother's much loved lavender
                 my mother's much loved lavender

A month in which emails trickled across the internet. “I miss you! I never see you anymore!” and “I’m so busy. It’s been months… maybe we could lunch? If I am able to get away?” and emails from readers whose comments make me laugh titled “What gives?” and containing sad internet tears at the possibility of a blogging demise.
There were posts written. Oh yes there were! But they were sad. And tired. And disgruntled. And uninspired. And that is not who I am, and that is not what onebitemore is about. So they were discarded with hopes of maybe-tomorrow-I’ll-write-something-more-like-me.
And then I pissed off to Cairns and came back again with a stinger in my stride (an inch above the back of my left knee in case you were curious), a peeling set of shoulders (strangely, courtesy Manly and not Cairns at all) and stories to tell you. Oh! The stories!
So I am back, and with cake! For all of you.
And I’m sorry, dear internet. I didn’t mean to be away for quite so long.

you will need:
200g butter
½C natural yoghurt
¼C + ¾C cream
½C + 2tbs honey
2tbs lavender buds
2 eggs
¼C sugar
1¾C self raising flour
½tsp baking powder

       Read More

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Heaven Planet Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice | This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates