Wednesday, July 7, 2010

how to cook a raspberry and rosewater macarons



You should have seen the look on my face. Two printed sheets in plastic sleeves, complete with highlighting and annotation. Two hours of pacing around the kitchen. Twelve tense minutes staring at the oven door. Ten minutes of eyes scrunched into themselves, lips murmuring “C’mon work work work!” One misread instruction and one minor panic attack. One slightly fed up mother and a spatula.
And then, miraculously, they were done. Slightly glossy outer shell? Check! Chewy melting centre? Check! Feet? Check! My very first batch of macarons, sans catastrophic failure? Hurrah!

raspberry & rosewater macarons
raspberry & rosewater macarons
I have been challenging myself of late. Both in what I choose to eat and what I choose to cook. It’s a temporary insanity, don’t you worry, and the regular slap-dash recipes will be back shortly.
Having ticked gelatin off my list of fears (marshmallows & mousse), I decided to up the ante. With macarons.

They’re notoriously difficult to manage, and a quick scan of the interwebs revealed a minefield of different methods, meringues and macaron-esque terms. So I approached it the only way I knew how.
With a tonne of research and more than a couple of super-heartfelt prayers.


raspberry & rosewater macaronsraspberry & rosewater macarons

basic macaron mix

I won’t pretend I know everything about making macarons – far from it! I’ve only made the one batch! But I do know that this recipe worked for me (aka the macaron novice). It’s a rephrasing of Audax Artifex’s Basic French Meringue Macaron recipe, that he, in turn, rephrased from an article of  Helen of Tartlette’s. Do give it a shot – at worst, you’ll end up with tasty sugary bites!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Heaven Planet Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice | This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates