Thursday, July 8, 2010

A great toffee apple suet puddings


The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet. (and oh, what a challenge it was!)



It has been all systems go here at onebitemore-central.
And when all systems are go, everything is almost bound to fall in a giant, fail-filled heap.
It started when I forgot to put sugar in the Bean’s birthday cake. Then it continued when I made 28 fennel flans for a cuh-razy blogger cook off, forgot to freeze my sorbet, and doubled a recipe that I possibly should have halved.
And, after all of that, came the daring bakers challenge.


“Crap!” I exclaimed at nobody in particular as I realised that the suet I bought was more blood than fat.
“CRAP!” flew through the air as my rendering efforts were stymied by potential lateness-for-soccer (resulting in bits of said suet flying through the air as they were shredded with a food processor).
“What the (goat!)” I yelled at nobody in particular as I pushed and prodded the lovely, supple, but oh-so-easily torn pastry into chinese tea cups.



And the VTB looked on in part-amusement and part-horror as I derided the suet, the animal that it came from, and the crazed nation that thought it would be a good idea to incorporate said ingredient into anything edible.
A pause when the challenge was completed.


     “It is pretty…” said the Bean.

“It doesn’t taste as bad as you think, knowing what went into it…” said Mother-Bite-More, encouragingly.
“Much as I am mostly-British,” said the VTB, a couple of chews later “I do not think that the Britishness translated to my tastebuds.”
A pause.
“The caramel is nice though!”
And so went the story of this month’s daring baker’s challenge.
I will give you the recipe though, because with butter instead of suet and a glob of butter thrown into the mix before the pastry is sealed off and steamed, it may just be alright. For those who like a steamed pastry that is. And I know you’re out there.

    Read More 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Heaven Planet Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice | This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates